Does submitting an accurate and thorough quarterly PBJ create stress for the entire team?
Here are the top 3 factors that adversely impact your staffing star ratings:
- RN <8 hours – Four or more occurrences in the quarter with no RN staffing 8 consecutive hours, results in your facility receiving an automatic one-star rating for RN staffing & overall staffing. It is critical that all hours are accounted for, including agency.
- Break time – Be aware that CMS mandates a 30-minute deduction of time in the PBJ calculation for every 8-hour shift worked. CMS will automatically deduct 30-minutes for every shift greater than 8-hours if not demonstrated within your submission report – Resulting in fewer hours than you predicted. Unfortunately, this impacted a client of ours, causing a loss of nearly 20,000 hours during the 3-month period!
- MDS Discharge Assessments – Many facilities have not completed all their MDS Discharge Assessment forms for the quarter, causing an inflated CMS Census that is used in your PBJ staffing calculations – Ultimately leading to a lower NHPPD than predicted and most likely leading to a negative score outcome. Prioritize completion of MDS Discharge Assessments and your actual census will mirror CMS’s census.
Many organizations’ expertise is on resident care – understandably, thus they find the data entry and technical elements of PBJ frustrating, leading to procrastination with less than satisfactory staffing stars. DreamCORE Intelligence Center is your team’s solution to PBJ management through submission.
The DreamCORE Intelligence Center leverages technology so that you and your organization can put the resources and focus back on resident care. Our technology generates alerts on a daily basis allowing for timely adjustments so your next PBJ report can be accurate.
In addition, we can assist you with:
- Organizing all your PBJ data
- On-time report submissions
- Audits – scrub, organize, prepare data for response
CMS has new guidelines effective as of 10/1/2022, including weekend staffing and staff turnover measures. We can help you prepare for these important changes.